Sunday, October 5, 2008

An Auburn themed birthday party

Well the night ended with Auburn losing to Vanderbilt, but the birthday party was great despite such a tragedy.

There was a lot of preparation that went into this little party and there is no way I could have pulled it all together without the help of my parents and Matts parents. So a HUGE thank-you goes out to them!

We planned an Auburn birthday party for the girls. There was blue and orange everywhere. I made a tiger cake for the party and they had little pink and white smash cakes with a tiger paw on top. My mom provided all the appetizers and Matts mom brought all the stuff for burgers and sides! It was nice to just do decorations and the cleaning, which took all day Friday and up until the party started at 4:30 on Saturday.

We ended up with about 30 people here in our house plus 10 kids or so, and that was mainly family. I did not even invite my girlfriends for fear of overrunning the entire place. A few neighbors came but the rest were mostly relatives. It was a great time to visit with the family (even if I was mainly dealing with 2 babies the entire time) :) Everyone was so generous and the girls racked up! :)

They did very well too in the midst of all the chaos. Hannah has been rather needy lately, probably due to her cutting the 4 teeth, but even she was happy go lucky. They really enjoyed the bags, boxes and tissue paper that their gifts came in.

I was rather disappointed with their lack of enthusiasm over their cakes though. I think it was all the excitement, but they very daintily picked off the icing and just licked their fingers. Very little smashing, except for when I cheated at the end and put their hands in it. Hey I made the cakes to get messed up! I wasnt going to throw them away in tact!

I really enjoy the fact I have a playroom now. All the kids basically stayed in there and played (or destroyed). I did not think I had anything to entertain 2-7 year olds, but apparently they are easily amused. I took some pictures of the playroom when everyone had left but they do not do it justice. It was a wreck and was hilarious to see. I needed a panoramic view to capture it all.

They are still digging into all their new toys. Right now their favorite is their shopping cart/ walker. But they try to both push it from opposite ends which is not very productive.

They also got some tu-tu's made by their Aunt Katy. They wore them after they got their baths even though they had pajamas on. But they are just too darn cute. I think I will let them be ballerinas for Halloween since all I need is a onesie and some tights!

I tend to go a little overboard with the whole party planning thing but it was worth all the effort. I loved hosting this and all the work that went into it. Even though they will not remember it, it was a good celebration for Matt and I as well. I mean, we survived the first year with twins! We can do anything now!

outside all decorated (and Matt working of course)
Dots 1st Birthday Oct 4 2008 Party 004
Dots 1st Birthday Oct 4 2008 Party 003
IMG_3166.JPG
IMG_3173.JPG
Leah having fun after opening some presents
IMG_3164.JPG
Is there anything better than boxes and cards?
IMG_3163.JPG
Apparently not...
IMG_3142.JPG
Good grief Hannah
IMG_3183.JPG
IMG_3205.JPG
MMMM, YUMMY
IMG_3207.JPG
Leah and her tutu
IMG_3218.JPG
IMG_3220.JPG
So much fun
IMG_3224.JPG
IMG_3229.JPG
This was just one corner of the playroom... wow
IMG_3249.JPG

3 comments:

The Slagleys said...

WOW! This looks like a fun party, and they really raked in the toys too! I can't believe they are already 1- they are getting so big!

Lesley said...

Your cakes look amazing! love the pictures, you guys did such a great job! wish i could have been there! love ya'll!

Rachel said...

What a great party!! They are adorable... I found out yesterday that your neighbors Lori and Johnny are in my sunday school class- and I have been to their house several times- What a small world! I am going to have to come meet you and the girls!