Monday, September 15, 2008

Update on Hannah's ear

Last night Hannah woke up screaming again at 1:30. I honestly couldnt figure it out. She had been on two different kinds of antibiotics, the ear infection should be gone, right?

Today we had her 10 day checkup. He looked in and couldnt even see anything. Apparently she has been pushing things in her ear as she messes with it because it hurts, and he thought there was a buildup of wax/food in there. gross. So the nurse came in and irrigated her ear. He returned and still could not see anything, so he cleaned it out a little. After really looking though, he realized that her ear is just so infected that he could no longer see any landmarks that he was looking for. There was too much infection behind the ear drum. Poor baby!!!

So we have now begun a three day series of Recephin shots. If that doesnt work, we will have to go to an ENT, and the possibility of tubes is there. It seems crazy since she has only had one ear infection, but this is proving to be resistant to antibiotics and with my history I am hoping it will not rupture. (I have ruptured my ear drums 5 times).

I hope these shots will help, but according to the doctor, it is about as bad as he has ever seen. Honestly, Hannah has been an angel considering what she is going through. I remember that pain, and it is the worst!

2 comments:

Lesley said...

i will be praying for little Hannah! miss you!

Anonymous said...

Hang in there girl. It is rough. Noah only had one ear infection, technically, before he got tubes. We went through all that you are gong through and finally the ENT put the tubes in. After the procedure he told me that he was shocked at how much puss was behind the ear drum when he cut it and suctioned it. I hope her infection clears, but if not I will tell you that I'm so glad Noah has his tubes. He was like a completely different baby. Good luck.