Sunday, November 30, 2008

Happy Thanksgiving!

This Thanksgiving I cannot even begin to express all the things I am thankful for, but I know I love my family more than anything and every day I get to spend with them I feel truly blessed.

And I would like to say I had a ton of pictures of this day, but alas, I dont have a single one.

I was on call Thurs-Sun this past week. My surgeon was supposed to be out of town starting Saturday though and had family plans on Thanksgiving so I figured I was safe. The plan was to go to my parents house to have our feast around 2:30. I got called in to be at work at 2:30 for a heart transplant. So I helped Matt pack up the girls and he headed to Mom and Dads and I went to work.

The rest of my Thanksgiving day went as I expected. The donor heart was good so my patient, who was extremely sick, got a new heart. It was a very difficult case but the patient did fine and I left work (starving) at 2:30am. I called Matt on my way home and asked if he wanted to partake in some middle of the night leftovers.

Well, we had no leftovers at our house. Turns out, when Matt returned home that night our entire neighborhood was out of power, so he grabbed some things and went to his parents to put the girls to bed. It was after midnight before the power came back on (Seriously bad for the neighborhood - the power went out at 2:00 that afternoon! I bet that ruined a lot of meals! 2600 people out of power because someone hit something!) so he left the girls at his parents and the food in their fridge.

Needless to say I was sadly disappointed. I did get some leftovers on Friday though! So I dont really know how Thanksgiving Day went. I guess Matt can tell about that if there is anything interesting. I did teach the girls to say "gobble gobble" though.

Saturday worked out much better. Matt and I hosted a McCay Thanksgiving/Iron Bowl get together (and No I do NOT want to talk about the results of that game). Matts mom provided all the food, and we provided the house. Worked out great!!! And I finally got to enjoy the meal that I had been waiting for! The girls and their cousins played great together and they all napped around the start of the game.

Nothing terribly exciting to report here, but I thought I would at least mention we made it through the busy week!

1 comment:

Lesley said...

Well, sorry you missed a great meal at your moms... but so thankful you saved someones life! I cooked my first thanksgiving meal! It was great, of course no pictures here either =). I got to eat my first thanksgiving meal in three years! Last year the whole gall bladder issue was there and the year before I had the stomach virus! So very thankful to have enjoyed a good meal this year! We had some friends over, we played games all afternoon. It was great! Wish you could have been here! Have a great week off.