Saturday, December 15, 2012

My Wedding Cake Attempt

I was asked to make a wedding cake.  And I am one of those people that will pretty much attempt anything and have hopes I can make it work.

And I now have a ton of respect for the wedding cake bakers of the world.  It took a ton of time, a lot of money, and a lot of patience.  Granted, I honestly dont really know what I am doing, but i still have a lot of respect.

I made a from scratch caramel cake, with a homemade caramel filling and a barely caramel buttercream.  And I covered it with fondant.  That is probably not something I would do again since my fondant know how is not Gigantic cake savvy.

After I covered with the fondant I got a bit worried because it buckled under the weight of it.  I either made the fondant too think, or the icing too thick.  Didnt matter because I had committed and now it was time to decorate.

It turned out ok.  I learned a lot, thats for sure.  Also, I probably will not make another big wedding cake again.  Ill leave that to the professional bakers out there!

Taylor and Drews wedding cake

Taylor and Drews wedding cake

Taylor and Drews wedding cake

Taylor and Drews wedding cake

The scariest thing was getting it to the church.  I was a nervous wreck for sure.  But it made it there safe and sound, and we got in in the church even though it weight a million pounds.  Wedding cake making is serious stuff, ya'll.

No comments: