Monday, November 5, 2007

Iron-Brother

I know this is not 100% about the girls, but it relates. Siblings make for such an interesting dynamic. Two people made from the same people, but most likely so different you would never know they are brothers or sisters. This is interesting because we have twins, and already they are two totally different little girls.

For me though I enjoyed having a brother 5 years older than me (he might not have liked the brat little brother though). It gave me someone to look up to and admire. He was a great example for a brother to have. As the years pressed on, we started seeing each others as equals, and this created a strong bond that people are amazed at. We still fight, argue, disagree, but we are brothers that would do anything for one another.

This weekend though, I became the little brother again. Jason participated in the IronMan Florida. A race that consists of 2.4 miles of swimming, 112 miles of biking, and 26 miles of running. I watched my big brother suffer through 13.5 hours of physical hell and come out on the other side smiling. That is something a little brother can look up to. I am 25 now, and have my own family, but I dont think I will ever get to the point where I do not look up to him. He was truly awesome this weekend, and he is now and IronMan, IronSon, IronHusband, IronFather and to me an IronBigBrother.

I pray one day that my little girls even though the same age will be able to find inspiration and example like I find in my brother.

Congratulations to all the IronMan competitors this weekend, and a shout-out to my good friend Ben, who is now a two time IronMan, beating his last year time by 45 minutes.

Thank any of you who sent down prayers for Jason and his safety, we know God was watching over him the whole day. Thank you to my parents for getting us a place to stay, thank you to my loving wife and sister in law for watching the girls so I could go, and lastly thank you to my brother for showing that pain is temporary, and that reaching for your dreams and goals only happens through hard work and perseverance.

Congrats to my big brother -- he is now an IronMan

Jason 72 miles into the bike.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great work.