Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Stuck at home

Well everyone tried to tell me it would happen eventually, but I was not convinced. Overall this pregnancy has been text book, and after my appointment at 30 weeks I felt like there was not much that could change that since everything still looked great.

But Saturday I woke up with a different feeling. I still felt just fine, but I thought that my time was now limited in what I was able to do. So I got ready and went to the grocery store, came home and did a few things I have been meaning to do for the nursery. I told Matt that I just felt like I was not going to be able to do these things shortly.

I felt pretty rough Saturday night, and the Auburn game did not help much, but it was just a general discomfort. Sunday morning I got up and had some breakfast and decided to take a shower. Thats when it started. I had this awful cramp on my left side. So after calling matt to come in there, we decided we should call the doctor and he told me to come on in (thinking it could be kidney stones).

The pain kind of moved on my way to the hospital, so I was like "great, they are going to think i am an idiot, I am just uncomfortable which is normal". But when they hooked me up I realized I was so uncomfortable because I was having a contraction every 2 minutes. That would do it! So first they gave me a drug (Brethine) which basically is like speed - if i ever took speed. It makes you jittery and speeds up the heart. That didnt work so they had to start me on Magnesium Sulfate. After that went it, it was an interesting hour. It completely messed me up. But it worked. They weaned me off that on monday morning and i had to take the Brethine tablets every 4 hours, which seemed to be doing the trick. I just wanted to go home! That night, after a full day of minimal contractions, they started up again. The doctor upped my dose on the Brethine and luckily I did not have to go back on Mag. So i got to come home yesterday!

I am on bedrest but I am allowed to get up to pee and shower and get something to eat/ drink. Just nothing else. I had to start my maternity leave a bit earlier than planned but hopefully it will all work out. So I am sitting here with the computer in my lap writing in my blog after doing a little online shopping. Since I am still on that medication that makes my heart race so much, I feel weird getting up anyway, so this is not too bad yet. Ill just settle down with my Harry Potter books and hope that these girls stay in me for 4 more weeks - that would be nice.

This weekend was a rude awakening though. They could be here seriously soon! Just not too soon I hope...

No comments: